Degrees & Programs



Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Global Real Estate Master (GREM) program?

The Wisconsin School of Business at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is partnering with the world's leading business schools to create a first-of-its-kind graduate degree in global real estate.

The GREM is structured as a double degree program in two phases including study at one of four partner schools — HEC Paris, Hong Kong UST Business School, INCAE Business School or Shanghai Advanced Institute of Finance (SAIF) — plus a 16-week capstone semester at the Wisconsin School of Business in Madison, Wisconsin in the United States. GREM is open to U.S. and international students who are interested in an internationally focused, graduate-level real estate learning experience.

  1. In the first phase of the GREM program, you must be currently enrolled or have recently completed a qualifying degree at one of the four partner schools.
  2. In the second phase of the GREM program, you travel to Madison, Wisconsin in the U.S. for a semester at the Wisconsin School of Business from mid-January to mid-May including intensive classroom training and applied-learning opportunities in the United States.

Through the GREM program, you graduate with two degrees — a master or MBA from one of the four GREM partners and a master of science in global real estate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the leader in global real estate education.

See the Wisconsin State Journal's news article on the GREM program here:  UW-Madison organizes new global real estate program.

To learn more, click on Program.

back to top

Who is eligible to apply for admission to the GREM program?

The GREM is a double degree program offered exclusively in conjunction with the following degree programs from our four partner schools. Enrolled students and recent graduates of these programs at these partner schools are immediately eligible to apply for the GREM. If you are not currently enrolled in one of the following programs, you MUST first apply and be accepted to one of the degree programs, then you are eligible to apply for the GREM. Please note that all communication regarding the program and application materials must be in English.

Please go to Admissions for more information on the partner schools and qualifying degree programs.

back to top

What are the GMAT/GRE/TOEFL requirements?

GMAT/GRE/TOEFL requirements are explained on the website of each of our partner schools for each of the degrees that lead into the GREM. If previous study has been completed predominantly in English, you may request a waiver of TOEFL scores. Please click on Admissions for links to the partner schools for their requirements.

Relatedly, all communication, application and instruction in the program is in English.

back to top

What is the professional work experience requirement?

Professional work experience requirements are decided by the partner schools and depend on what degree program you are applying for. Typically, if you are applying for a MS, a minimum of two years of professional work experience is required. If you applying for a MBA, five - six years of work experience may be preferred. Check the professional work experience requirements of the partner school of your choice before applying to GREM through the Admissions section of this website.

back to top

What is the Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement?

Please check with the specific program requirements of your chosen school. Please click on Admissions for links to the partner schools for their requirements.

back to top

What are the application fees for the GREM program?

A non-refundable application fee of US $56 is due upon submission of your application via the online GREM application process.

If you would like to learn more about the program and confirm your eligibility, please fill out this Contact form.

back to top

What are the enrollment fees for the GREM program?

Upon acceptance into the GREM Program, you'll be required to submit a US $500 deposit to secure your participation. The deposit will be applied to your tuition balance. For other tuition costs and other fees, please see COSTS page on the website.

back to top

How much does the GREM program cost?

Tuition for the GREM semester at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is US $14,000. For total Estimated Cost of Attendance, click here.

back to top

Will I need a U.S. VISA?

If you are not a United States Citizen, you will most likely need a Visa to study in the United States. Most international students are admitted under the status of F-1, full time student visa category. Students on F-1 visa must carry a full-time course load. Only under special circumstances, and where a unique situation may warrant, might an alternative visa status be utilized. For more information on F-1 status, click here.

Please contact your country's consulate for more information. For more information provided by our International Student Services Office, please visit the University of Wisconsin's International Student Services website.

back to top

Can I bring my spouse and children?

Yes. Spouse or children traveling with a student on F-1 visa will need an F-2 visa. Please be aware that F-2 dependents cannot, under any circumstances, be employed in the US. If asked, be prepared to address what your spouse intends to do with his or her time while in the US. Volunteer work and taking recreational classes are permitted activities. Documentation of additional financial resources to support dependants will be necessary.

Please check with your country's consulate prior to enrolling. For more information provided by our University, please visit the dependents section at University of Wisconsin's International Student Services website.

back to top

Where do I live while studying for the GREM?

The GREM office will provide guidance in securing housing for your semester in Madison as soon as you are accepted into the program and commit to attending.

For information about on-campus housing, visit the University Housing website. The University Apartments community serves graduate students, student families, academic staff, and faculty at UW-Madison.

For off-campus housing, contact the Campus Information & Visitor Center (CIVC). More information may also be found at the International Student Services website.

back to top

What opportunities for financial aid are offered?

Scholarships may be available. Please indicate your interest on the Contact form.

back to top

What semester/term is open for admission?

There is a single intake of GREM students for the Spring Semester ONLY (January - May) each year.

back to top

Is the GREM offered as a part-time program?

No. At this time, there is no part-time offering of the GREM.

back to top

Is the GREM offered online?

No. At this time, GREM is not available to complete online.

back to top

How do I apply for the GREM?

Please fill out our Contact form at the GREM website. GREM administrators will contact the appropriate partner school to determine eligibility including good academic standing of the student. Eligible students will be contacted by a GREM Administrator. Please note that all communication and application materials for the program must be in English.

back to top

Are there any GREM requirements, other than one semester of study in Madison?

To help ensure your success in completing the GREM and applying your knowledge in practice, we have incorporated several additional activities beyond the semester of study at the Wisconsin School of Business.

  1. All students accepted into the GREM must complete an introductory real estate finance course as a basic foundation for study. Each of the partner schools will be offering the course in the summer or fall prior to the GREM semester. (For students unable to attend the course at a partner school, other arrangements may be available.)
  2. A one-week orientation session in Madison prior to the start of the spring semester will introduce students to the faculty, facilities, academic tools and resources available through the university.
  3. A study tour to a major real estate market in the United States will introduce students to real estate professional practice.

Finally, as a double degree program, students must complete or continue progress in good standing toward one of the qualifying degree programs at a partner school.

For more information, visit the Program section of the website.

back to top

François Ortalo-Magné François Ortalo-Magné
Academic Director

Joe Walsh Joe Walsh
Program Director

Kris Hammargren Kris Hammargren
Marketing and Communications

Mary Brost Mary Brost

Department of Real Estate
and Urban Land Economics

5263 Grainger Hall
975 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706-1323 USA